Monday, March 17, 2014

The Starting Line
    Hey, guys. My name is Derrick, and I’m 22 years old. Most of you know me as “DerrickJL.” I got my start in day trading when I was 16 years old. It all started after I opened an E-Trade guardian account with my father. I started out in the OTC markets and, like most, had little to no success in the beginning. I took hits left and right and eventually decided that this wasn't for me.
   
     Over the next few months, I made some decisions about what I wanted out of life. I decided to give the markets one more chance. At the time, I was a high school dropout with no direction and no future in mind. I just wasn't motivated enough to learn and study like the others in the classroom. At the same time, though, I wanted more than just “a job.” I wanted to do what I wanted, when I wanted, and to do it with whoever I wanted. And I knew a regular job wouldn’t allow me that freedom.
     
     For my second venture in the world of trading, I joined a penny newsletter around the time that “Awesome Penny Stocks” (APS) was the king of OTC newsletters. I had had some success with their picks like NSRS and SNPK. After those picks died, I took a break from trading and spent all the earnings I had made. Then, for the second time, after a period of not doing much with my life, I decided to return to trading. This was the true start of my career.
    
     As I finally got serious and funded my Suretrader account, a stock some of you may know—SGOC—was on fire. This, I decided, was my chance to learn how to short stocks, and I decided to take a crack at SGOC. I shorted it at $2.20 to start, then it ran to $2.75: I added, and added again at $2.90 and $3… you get the idea. One day I read a random comment in the newsletter room that went, "Nate says that this is a short squeeze and probably ends up going higher." I replied, "Who is Nate?" Little did I know that this was the start of an amazing career. Nate still doesn’t know this, but I blew my account on SGOC and decided that it was time to think more seriously and educate myself further. I joined his service before the move to Profit.ly and learned a lot, but yet again I got hit again on the second run of a stock called GTIM. So there I was with a blown account yet again. So, I went back to doing absolutely nothing with my life. I finally graduated high school, and as I once again tried to decide what I was going to do with myself, the dread of trading was still there.
 
   I rejoined Nate’s service in December of 2012. I bought in for a year and I remember telling Nate, "Hey man, I plan to be here a year from now." You know what he said? He said, "Do it up." I went from making or losing $50 a day to $300 a day, then $500 a day, and I kept it going. I was on the biggest streak of my life at the time. I banked over 26k in 4 months. Then SR & STXS came along and I nearly wiped my gains out. I took the money I had left and decided once again that this wasn't for me. In October of the next year, after having dinner with Nate and a couple of other renowned traders, I decided to give this a shot again. I started a new account. I made over 6 figures in 3 months and was completely hooked. I decided to reduce my account size and invest the quick profits I had made to fund my current account in order to protect myself from myself. Fast forward through some ups, downs and everything in between and here I am.

     I’d like to give a big shout-out to everyone who has helped me so much along the way. That includes Investors Live, FreeFlow, Elkwood, Mike, Splendores, Offshorehunter, bbstock & Miles J Stoner. Also a big thanks to the new friends I have made in the Investors Underground room, like Brandon, Christian, Timothy & Emil. Happy trading, all.

Derrick

7 comments:

  1. awsome man, thanks for starting this blog. I hope you update it frequently. I have a similar story to yours (well the start of your journey) and hope to continue to learn and one day become someone's success story...

    Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You are 22 also, and your skill is 10 times better than me. Thanks for writing blog, keep them coming so I can learn! I will be as good as you one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story man. Im in the similar situation like yours at the beginning.
    How were your funding your account if you were only a high school student? Im in the IU chat for 3months... how can i get the most out of it? I also bought the IU dvd. Any advice/comment will be appreciated. Thanks Erick...traderego@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Similar to you I started my trading career with a big fat loss right out the gates. I have since taken time to read trading books, watch others alert stocks and then try and see the markets in charts to test my own skills ( without investing any) more of a field test. While I am no master, I have seen some improvements. I make a decent living and have freedom to trade while at work believe it or not. Your sorry really got my attention. Please keep updating your blog. I am currently in $ UNGS as a long. Anything over .0016 will be profit and I see it going there soon. I am always seeking guidance. Please keep passing on your knowledge. It us really appreciated.
    @Farrylbee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story, glad to see you finished school first, my story is very similar with the losses and blown account, quitting and coming back. Next time I'm here to stay. see you in chat, blackguytrading

    ReplyDelete